Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let's talk about FOOD, ba-by

Yeah, I know the song says "Let's talk about s.e.x, baby," but frankly food is more interesting. You know I'm right, even if you won't admit it. Also, my oldest daughter reads this occasionally, as does, I have recently been informed, one of her friends. So, as they are learning everything there is to know about sex from their 13-year-old peers, as is the right and proper way of the world, I will not further educate them here. Also, I should consider moving to a secret blog.

Anyway, the first order of business here is bittersweet. Not chocolate. Coffee. I love and adore some of the creamer flavors that International Delight produces. Their chocolate caramel flavored creamer is a staple in my house. But what really turns me on (still talking about food, stay with me here) is the Limited Edition flavors they come out with. A few months ago they had Vanilla Caramel Brownie. Holy moly, that was to die for. Now they have this:



In case you can't read the label, it says "White Chocolate MUDSLIDE." And the party in your mouth it provides along with your morning dose of caffeine is better than that subject we're not discussing right now. But, BUT. Those flavors are Limited Editions. So while they give great pleasure, they only do so for a short time (STILL food, people!). Thus the bittersweetness.




On to other food. I made Tamale Pie, originally brought to us by Partners in Dine, for the second time last night. The first time I didn't take pictures, so I didn't post about it. Anyway, as our good friends Brett and Caroline told us, it is EXTREMELY EASY to make. Except the part where they say to shred the cheese. SURELY THEY JEST. What they MEANT TO SAY was buy a bag of shredded cheese and use that. So being able to read their minds like that, that is what I did. Anyway, here is a photo record of the process (for the actual recipe go here):

Brown the meat:



Drain the meat and add the beans and salsa. By the way, I couldn't find ranchero beans, so I assumed that ranchero=pinto, and used pinto beans:



Pour in pan and sprinkle cheese on top:



Pour cornbread batter over top and spread out (I just used 2 8 oz. boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix because I couldn't find a 12 oz. box of cornbread mix that was called for.) Bake. I forgot to take a picture until after it had been in the oven for a couple minutes.:



Done.:



Serve it up with a dollop of sour cream. If you want to be healthy about it, have a side salad as well (for this I highly recommend buying a salad in a bag for the ease factor). It's easy and delicious.

No comments: