Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter chicks from hell

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store to pick up some coconut to make these. As I walked into the baking supplies aisle, I glanced to my right and saw these:



Wait. Take a closer look...



Little devil chicks. I just HAD to buy them. I'm pretty sure those devil horns are actually supposed to be wings, but COME ON... they SO do not look like wings. They look like devil horns. OR... maybe they actually ARE devil horns, and these particular chicks were made to add a whimsical touch to a platter of deviled eggs. It's possible. Anyway, I'm thinking of using them like some of you use your Mr. Pickleses** (would that be the correct plural of Mr. Pickles?). I don't, however, wish to take them all along with me each time I go somewhere that I want to take a devil chick. So I will have to give them each a unique name:

Satan


Lucifer


Beelzebub


His Heinous Highness


Duchess of Devilishness


and

Sultan of Sin


Now I just have to decide which to take where, when. They're all just so devilishly adorable.



** After searching Swistle's site for Mr. Pickles for the link in this post, it appears that Mr. Pickles and the devil chicks are closely related. For some reason I had assumed Mr. Pickles was a sturdier variety of craft-chick. So perhaps the devil chicks' names should be Satan Pickles, Lucifer Pickles, Beelzebub Pickles, His Heinous Highness Pickles, Duchess of Devilishness Pickles and Sultan of Sin Pickles. Swistle, if you read this post, does Mr. Pickles have wings or devil horns?

13 comments:

Swistle said...

Those are very very similar to Mr. Pickles, and I would have said they WERE Mr. Pickleses, except their feet are different. Also, according to Maureen, Mr. Pickles is ONLY yellow, although I will note she bought a batch of pink chickens this year so we'll see if the rules change.

My Mr. Pickleses have wings like those, but horns is significantly funnier, and also the whole series with individual chicken portraits with their bad-chicken names was hilarious, and also I will never really see them as wings again.

Whimsy said...

Fiona,
Dude. You are the sole reason that my husband and I are sitting in bed CRYING with laughter. We're voting for the Satan Pickles, Beezelbub Pickles, et al versions of their names. Priceless.

Jess said...

It did not even OCCUR to me that those might be wings. OBVIOUSLY horns.

Shelly said...

THOSE ARE AWESOME. THE PICKLES NAMES ARE FANTASTIC. This post is brilliance itself. I MUST find some devil chicks for my house.

pickles and dimes said...

They're so cute! I like the purple one the best. He looks the most evil.

Alice said...

i didn't think anything could be more awesome than mr pickles, but His Heinous Highness Pickles is OBVIOUSLY THE PINNACLE OF AWESOME.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

shelly - I'll try to go back to the store after Easter, since if they have any left then, they'll probably be on clearance, and I'll send you some. Not that them being on clearance is a REQUIREMENT for my sending them to you, I'd send them to you even at FULL PRICE (really, I would, because I like you and I am going to win that Marshall Karp book because my question is THE BEST, even if I have to bribe you with devil chicks to do so), but I know I won't be back to that store BEFORE Easter, so I think them being on clearance is a good possibility. Assuming there are any left, anyway.

Jason, as himself said...

These are the best devil chick names ever. And I'm sure there have been a lot of devil chick names in this world.

My favorite is His Heinous Highness.

Jen's Farmily said...

I agree that those are definitely not wings. Maybe you could leave them on the kids pillows' before they go to bed. You know, instead of a mint? :D

Astarte said...

I love your Pickleses!!!!! Ours have more fins than wings, really. I wish they were horns!!!! That's too funny!!!!!

Fantastic Forrest said...

Those are obviously horned owls.

Sheesh.

Satanic horned owls.

earlcapps said...

I LOVE them!

Anonymous said...

Those are TOTALLY horns. They are hilarious! Love the Pickles family! LOL When I saw the first picture, I was all 'Oh, how sweeeeet!' Now I'm all 'Who took pics of my family??'