Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday tidbits

  • First I have to say that I love my title to this post, because I find alliteration absolutely appealing and awesome although asinine*. Also, I like the word TIDBITS. I'm not sure why, since it sounds like cat food. Anyway, it just popped into my head, which means that I am probably inadvertently stealing it from someone else. So to that person, I apologize. Don't sue me, as you would be sorely disappointed in your winnings in such a lawsuit.

  • My kids painted Easter eggs this past weekend. What, you want pictures? All right *grumble,grumble*, I'll go get the camera and upload them if that'll make you happy. Just wait here a minute... {elevator music version of something by Bon Jovi} OK. Here we go. Sorry that took so long; Meg had (once again) stolen my USB SD card reader thingy and I had to go track it down. OK, TECHNICALLY it's not mine, it's my husband's, but come on people, you KNOW that makes it MINE. Voila (yes I'm too lazy to go copy and paste the accented letter):













    Meg is missing from the photos because she elected to abstain from the activity. She was playing the teenage martyr because she was pissed that I hadn't yet made strawberries magically appear in the fridge. Apparently when she wants strawberries to make a smoothie, she means the very next time you leave the house, who cares if it's just to get the mail from the mailbox, SURELY there's a damn grocery store close enough by to take a little detour. For any of you who have little ones, prepare yourselves for teenage martyrdom, it is a COMMON occurrence.

  • Today is grandparent's day at Beth's kindergarten, which means that my MIL's sister (who pinch hits for my MIL in these situations, since she is 20 minutes away and my MIL is 2 hours away) is coming over. I should be cleaning, but I am typing this instead. It's because of my procrastination illness. I can't help it.

  • Beth has a boyfriend. She kissed him on the bus. Well, on the lips while they were on the bus. I had to tell her that kissing is not appropriate school-type behavior. She is SIX. I'm going next week to pick out my grave plot, since I'm sure I will be needing it in 7-10 years.

  • Back on this post, I said I was going to be giving away a used, dust-jacketless book that I picked up for $1 at a library sale. SURPRISINGLY (ha!), there didn't seem to be much interest in said giveaway item. With only FOUR comments on that post, the odds of winning are TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT!!! Lucky(?) entrants! Random.org awards the book to... Jess! I'm sorry Jess, but you commented and thus will be cursed with THE BOOK THAT NO ONE WANTED. Luckily, I already have your address (assuming I can find it in my email again), so you can't get out of it by not providing your address. *evil cackle*

  • And FINALLY... I recently came across this guy. You should check him out. Interesting guy, interesting family, the most ADORABLE little boy named Diego, for whom Amy would fall head over heels because COME ON... DIEGO? Her favorite babysitters characters in the world are Dora and Diego. She would be smitten. The PROBLEM is this: I left a comment on his blog and he came over here and checked me out. He left a comment on one of my posts that said he could tell I'm a really funny one. GAH! Now I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint him. (Though I guess I can only do that if he comes back.) Those of you who read here know I can only pull the funny out ON OCCASION, and even then it's not always that good. Or funny. Or entertaining AT ALL. WHY do you guys even read this? Are you GLUTTONS FOR PUNISHMENT? Gluttony is a sin, you know, one of the seven deadlies, last I checked (which OK, isn't very often). Wait, I seem to be getting off track here... what was I talking about... oh yes, Jason and his possibly, PROBABLY, unrealistic expectations of me. Jason. Dude. Please don't be disappointed. I want you to like me, I really do. Because from the pictures on your blog, you have a GORGEOUS home, one that would be SO MUCH NICER than a hotel should I ever find myself in California. You know? Just sayin'.


*Technically not alliteration, since APPARENTLY alliteration is "the repetition of usually initial CONSONANT sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables". *I* say it IS alliteration, because I don't believe in discrimination of any sort, even vowel discrimination.

13 comments:

Alice said...

ah, true - but ASSONANCE is the repetition of vowels, so there you go :-)

dude, your egg painting is intense. like actually PAINTING! we always just dipped ours into those paas dyes :-)

Chantal said...

Should I be glad I don't have a daughter...

Shelly said...

Ooh! There is WAY too much to comment on in this post. First, I really would like to know what egg painting set your girls are using, because my daughter would totally love it. Second, I am going to have a very hard time not laughing my ass off at the teenage martyr when she arrives in my house (which should be any day now, she already has the proper tone of voice!) Wait - your six year old has a boyfriend?! Oh my god, that is WAY too early. Must lock my daughter up NOW. And I'm glad Alice brought up assonance, it took me forever to remember the word.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

alice - Ah! I KNEW there was a name for it, I just couldn't think that far back to English class. Thank you!

shelly - I can't remember the name of the set. It was some kind of stamping thing that I saw at Target and thought, "Oh, that'll be nice and easy." The stamps themselves didn't work AT ALL, but the wet stamp pads worked awesomely with a paint brush. Nice vivid colors.

earlcapps said...

Teenage daughter doesn't wanna play? Gotta love those teenage years.

My own example, which you saw some of, is an example of how bad it can get.

Jason, as himself said...

Relaaaaax, Mrs. Picklebottom. I'm actually easy to please, especially if you keep flattering me like this.

LoriD said...

Beth has a boyfriend! That would just about kill me, I think. My kids are immature in that regard, which is just fine with me!

Jess said...

I can't believe I won ANOTHER BOOK. Send it quick, before we move!

Fantastic Forrest said...

I love alliteration too.
And I love your name, even though it is not alliterative.
And I love those eggs.
And I love the Jason Show too.

But you can't make strawberries magically appear in the fridge?

What the heck, FP? Why not?
I'm not sure I love you anymore.
I'll be checking your fridge and let you know.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Oh, I forgot - here is my alliteration:

Fantastic Forrest forthwith following Fiona for future frequent fits of fun.

Swistle said...

My 4th grade boy is already starting to hint at the first signs of martyrdom, and I am NOT looking forward to the full serving.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

FF - Ha! Awesome alliteration! I think I like you, too!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE alliteration!
You ARE funny! No pressure, my dear!
And jeez, at least you HAVE pictures of the egg-dyeing fiasco. I didn't take one damn single picture all weekend. I suck. Parent FAIL.
By the way, if I had kept up with reading everyone's blogs, I totally would have entered your contest, because when I won your book last time, I LOVED it! (The summer fletcher greel loved me) I just finished it this past weekend and omg, I could have read it in one day if I didn't have school, a job, a kid..ya know ADULT RESPONSIBILITIES. Sighhhhh