Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Facebook thing

So. Today I decided to sign up on Facebook. So I did and then I sent a friend invitation to my brother. See, I need to test it out before I go all in. Also, I'm a little disappointed that I can't really see anything about the people that I may or may not know unless they are my friend, so I would have to send people friend invitations JUST TO FIND OUT IF I KNOW THEM AND WANT THEM TO BE MY FRIENDS. So unless there is a picture where I can see that, "Yes, that is who I think it is," I'm not entirely comfortable just blasting friend invitations out right and left. Also, as it turns out, I'm not entirely comfortable sending friend invitations to people I KNOW would accept, because then what if I just abandon the whole Facebook thing after the novelty wears off? I'd feel bad about making contact and then disappearing again, because really I don't have time to make an actual effort beyond the Facebook thing to stay in touch with anyone.

So what if I just sit here and see if someone sends ME an invitation. But then what if no one does? Will I feel disappointed or possibly rejected? Will I even CARE? I mean, I'm not in touch with these people NOW, so does it really matter? It's like high school all over again, which is interesting since most of the folks I'm thinking all this about are from my high school days.

So my brother is my only friend and so far my wall says the following (read bottom-up for chronological order):

Je.nn.if.er is not liking this third person shit any better than she does when her teenage daughter does it.

Je.nn.if.er is figuring out why her teenage daughter talks about herself in the third person.

Je.nn.if.er is wondering why she joined a social network when she is decidedly NOT (social, that is), as evidenced by the fact that she is now reluctant to send invites.


No one has called me Je.nn.if.er in 15 years except my mom. It's kind of weird; I've been J/e/n for so long now. Maybe I should just go UN-sign up. It'd be SO MUCH EASIER.

10 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Well, if you decide to stay on, I'll be your friend. :)

Chantal said...

I have to admit that I am pretty addicted to facebook. Even with the inital rush over I still check it daily.

Anonymous said...

It took me a minute to understand why you were ennunciating your name so clearly!

I joined, but I am prety haphazard abot when I check. I mostly just respond to messages. I'm a slacker that way.

Tess said...

Fer chrissakes, I cannot FIND you!

You'll have to email me.

Pickles and Dimes said...

I joined FB for work (it was a requirement since we deal with social media) and it is freaking me out, because most of my friends there are work people and I don't need them to know about my blog. And then I want to friend my blog friends, but I don't want all of them to know 1) my last name and 2) where I work.

Worlds colliding. Ugh. It's tricky.

I'll be your FB friend though. :)

Fiona Picklebottom said...

OK, anyone who wants to be my friend, email me at the address in the sidebar. I want to be friends with ALL OF YOU, but I also cannot find YOU, Tess (they keep wanting to give me people named Jessie), or YOU Shauna (I can't remember if I know your last name or not) and nowheymama and the rest of you who are willing to befriend me and make me look like one of the popular kids, I don't think I know your names, or if I did I forgot them.

Swistle said...

Emailing you. Also, I'm Swistle Thistle on Facebook. BE MY FRIEND. Unless you ARE already my friend. THAT would be embarrassing. I sure have a lot of friends named Je.nn.if.er.

Astarte said...

Hey - I'm glad you came by my blog!!!

I have a fb account, too, and I wish I could snoop just a little. I mean, I want to know things about people, but I don't want to actually have to *talk* to most of them! Like, all my ex-boyfriends, and ex-friends, and random people I think of. I don't go there very often, though, anymore, anyway.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

I'm with you, Astarte. I want to see what they're up to and see their pictures and whatnot, but I don't know that I want to reciprocate or actually have to talk to them.

Shelly said...

Dude, I'm glad you didn't quit FB on your first day! LOL! You overthink things worse than I do.