Monday, January 26, 2009

Odds and Ends

First of all, they did have to intubate my grandmother Friday afternoon, but I haven't heard anything since then. I think the plan is to clean out her lungs and then try to remove the breathing tube. So we'll see.

Secondly, my husband fried the motherboard of my computer Saturday evening. Luckily, I married a compter geek, so there are three other machines on the switchbox and one connected via wireless for me to choose from to check email, blogs, Facebook and whatnot. He bid on a new motherboard on Ebay, so he should get me up and running by the end of the week. BUT, until then my intention of posting the "November notes" and "December digest" posts will have to be put off, since my pictures are on the hard drive that's connected to the dead motherboard. So maybe I'll get to a "Buncha books" post since it's been a while for one of those and the un-reviewed books are piling up.

Thirdly, I finished reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, so I need a new book. I want to give a little more time for voting (I wanted to post the poll this weekend, but didn't have time to write this post), so while I'm waiting for the 48 hours I'm going to give this time to end, I will be reading Step on a Crack by James Patterson because his books are always quick reads, so I'll be done by the time the poll ends. So the randomly grabbed candidates this time are:

The Alibi Man by Tami Hoag,

Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz,

Third Degree by Greg Iles,

Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson and

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen.

Go forth (over to your right) and vote!

Last, how do you handle this situation: I received a friend request from someone who went to my high school at the same time I did and whose name sounds VAGUELY familiar, but I can't remember her for the life of me. I feel bad for not having a clue who she is. I don't want to ignore her request, thus REJECTING her if I knew her, but I don't want to accept her request if I don't know her (or DIDN'T know her, I should say, since I obviously DON'T know her now). Anyway, have any of you been faced with this situation? I'm not really posting anything personal on Facebook, so really it's not a HUGE deal, unless she knows the folks who were the reason for my shutting down my other blog, in which case her friend request could be nothing more than a spying type thing. IF she knows them and IF she would do something like that for them. Not likely, but not impossible. Also, I am thinking of staring a new support group called "Over-thinkers Anonymous". Anyone want to join?

12 comments:

Fiona Picklebottom said...

Oh, also if anyone wants to play Lexulous with me, I'm willing. :)

Tess said...

I've read Third Degree. It's good, so I'll vote for that one.

I've friended people from HS that I'm not SURE if I knew or not. It's usually no big deal and if you watch what they post/who their friends are you figure it out eventually.

Jess said...

Ooo, start a Lexulous game with me, please!

Can you not look at this person's profile, since they requested you, and see if anything there gives you a clue? If not, I got nothing. If it were me, I'd accept regardless.

Mary O said...

I guess I would go ahead and accept that friend, then if something looks fishy from her profile, you can always "de-friend" her. Ha!

Also, I ususally like Anna Quindlen, so I'm voting for her book.

Shelly said...

I have both Third Degree and Rise and Shine, but haven't read either. So I'll be pulling for one of them to win so that I can hear your thoughts before I read them.

I've had that FB thing happen a couple of times. I look at the mutual friends to see if I can figure out who the person is and make my decision based on that. But I usually just go with how I'm feeling that day. Some days I'm more generous than others.

Chantal said...

I have a pending friend request with this exact situation. I mean I recognize his name but I swear we never once exchanged so much as a word in high school. I have been debating accepting it for days... Still over thinking this one too.

Anonymous said...

I'm a charter member of OTA. But I'd probably just accept.

Susiewearsthepants said...

You can always un-friend her later if you have to. I had someone post a racist joke on mine. I un-friended them. Facebook popped a message that said the person would not be notified of the "un" friending.

Alice said...

if you're worried about people not finding you... i probably WOULDN'T friend her. i mean, how insulted could someone you haven't spoken to in years be if you don't return their facebook friendship??

Swistle said...

I would totally join that group.

Also, I pretty much accept ANYONE, figuring most people think of it as a directory of everyone they've ever known, rather than as an actual friends list. I have several "friends" I don't think I ever once talked to in high school.

Jen's Farmily said...

I think I've read Sams letters to Jennifer. I think. And it was good.

If you add them and find out you have no idea who they are, you can always delete them from your friends!

Astarte said...

I have recently started ignoring people that I have no idea who they are. I figure, if I don't actually know them, then they can't really have meaningful feelings about me, either, and won't really care if they never hear back from me. I think a lot of people just want to see how many people they can add, or just add everyone that Facebook suggests that they add, without really thinking about it.