Thursday, August 28, 2008

Miscellany

[This post was originally published on my old blog on 7/17/07, so all time references are in regards to that date.]

I don't really have a topic today, so I thought I'd just throw out some miscellaneous info about myself. Since I am SOOOOOO interesting. First of all, a crappy picture of moi. It was next to impossible to find a picture of me, since in my family, I'm the one who takes all the pictures. So this is from a day last spring at my daughter's pre-school. I was sitting on the floor looking up, which is SUCH a lovely angle, don't you think?

I am not getting gray hair! Yay! I am, however, getting white hair. Which I like better than gray, so I'm fine with it. Plus, since I'm a redhead, I'll be like 80 before anyone will notice it. I only have about 5 of them so far (but I can't see the back of my head, so there may be more). No, I will not color my hair. I will let it go white naturally.

I am apathetic. Pretty much completely and totally. Except when it comes to my kids. I may get riled up about something for a short period of time, but then it invariably burns itself out and I go on about my business. Not a great quality, I know, but hey, I don't care. ;)

I LOVE to read, and always have a book going. I'm anal about it, though, and I don't like to read more than one novel at a time. I have to finish one before I pick up another. This is because I have read so much that I often get plot lines and characters mixed up, even when I'm only reading one, so reading more than one at a time puts too much stress on me to keep everything separate. My most often read and enjoyed genres include mysteries, psychological thrillers, legal thrillers and southern fiction. Currently I am reading "Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)" by Orson Scott Card for the "Something About Me" reading challenge, which is science fiction, a genre I usually avoid, but I am enjoying the book so far, and may read the rest of this particular series. Which leads me to...

I am not a joiner. Though I went out on a limb and did the reading challenge, I generally do not join things. No Gymboree, no "Mommy and me" things, no book groups, no nothing. I am a loner. I am not all that social. The few friends I have basically had to keep at me and at me until I finally gave in and did something with them. But those few friends are great ones, and I'm glad they harassed me until I gave in. :)

I love going to the movies, and I thoroughly enjoy going alone. It's been about 10 years since I've been able to do that, but it's one of the things I am most looking forward to doing in my old age. Not to say I don't enjoy going with other people - I do, but I like going alone just as much. (I'm also one of those people who will go to a nice restaurant alone and read a book while I eat.) I like most genres except horror and slasher flicks. Scary, I'm okay with, like "The Ring," but I don't usually see those either until they come out on DVD or are shown on TV. Favorite movie ever? I'm not sure. Loved "The Princess Bride" way back when, haven't seen it in a while. All the "Pirates of the Caribbean" were great, I thought. So maybe I go for swashbuckling and humorous, I don't know. What I do know is that the worst movie ever is "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover." We're talking major suckage there.

So that's enough for now. Can't give you everything at once. Got to hold something back for the next time I'm stuck for a topic.

4 comments:

Alice said...

OOOOH a picture of YOU!! how exciting!!

have you ever read the princess bride? i adore the movie, and i like the book EVEN MORE. i haven't read it in years, but i used to read it every single summer in the car en route to wherever summer vacation was that year :-)

Alice said...

ps: also you look hot. i love your hair. i just realized my first comment came off very "i won't say anything if i have nothing nice to say" which is NOT the case :-)

pps: do you still just have 5 white hairs? and still content not to dye? i suspect i will NOT handle my grey / white so serenely.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

alice - Ha! I didn't take it that way AT ALL. I'm sure I have more than 5, but they're still not that noticeable. I have NOT read "The Princess Bride." I don't think I even knew it was a book. I'll have to find it.

Shelly said...

This post was awesome! I love going to the movies alone, too, but I HATE to eat at a restaurant alone. I never remember to bring a book! I'm not a joiner, either. There are some interesting book clubs at a local book store, but I haven't even gone to a meeting yet. Oh! And I love the Princess Bride and didn't know it was a book, either. Thanks Alice!